Antichromatic Game Review

Review: Antichromatic



Get ready because today’s title is extremely challenging

Today’s game Antichromatic is an adventure game that resembles an old NES classic Metroid. It’s a maze with platforms and obstacles. In addition to that you switch between dimensions to make your way across each room. You can switch the planes between the black universe and white universe. It is very fun and rewarding but be warned it is extremely difficult.

The story here is that for over a year the world within the game has been split into two dimensions separating people and families from each other. A small band of fighters knows as Chroma has join together to rid the force that has separated the dimensions. They recently have track the source of the force to a facility, and now it is up to your character to stop the force and return the world back to normal. Within the facility you find a suit called Chromatic armor, which allows your character to travel back and forth between dimensions to aid you on your mission. Trust me you’re going to need all the help you can get because it is not an easy task.

The visuals of the game are well, very chromatic. Everything is black or white depending on which dimension your traveling in. The game is consisted of all sprite work that resembles an old 8-bit game. Rooms remind me a lot of Megaman which include spikes, saw blades, and occasionally enemies. I love old games from way back, so this look works strongly for this title.
wall jumping between a saw blade is sick >:0




The game play is very hard and difficult. I don’t mean to scare anyone way that would want to play but it’s tough I can’t lie. If you ever played an old Megaman , Castlevania, or Metroid its on that level difficulty. There are power-ups for suit as well, in the style of Metroid that allow you to move further in the game. Unlike Metroid, it’s not hard to navigate the facility at all. There is only one path you can take throughout the place and the game lets you know in the begging which way you should travel. The beginning of the game is not very difficult at first with your character only needing to avoid spikes, saw blades, and change planes when necessary. However, after you obtain the black wall jump boots the game difficulty goes off the charts. The biggest issue I have is with the control. The character always feels slippery and when you need to jump on small platforms over spikes it can be very difficult. Using the wall jump for me was a nightmare. To do the wall jump successfully you need to hold back against the wall and then jump out away from the wall and you do this all with the A W D keys. Trust me when I say your left hand will be going sporadic on the keyboard when doing this. Hopping from wall to wall and switching dimensions back and forth, will make your head hurt because you need act faster than you can think. Each room as you progress just gets harder as you go on. I had to quit for 20 minutes at one point because I just couldn't take it anymore. The end room with the boss is the hardest, where you need to destroy 3 color blocks and defeat the boss all in one go without dyeing and there are many obstacles and dangers to avoid while doing it. Even with the difficulty factor, it is still a very good game. It’s not just hard and no fun. There is a challenge factor to it that makes it very rewarding. Every room towards the end of the game I conquered gave me a great feeling of accomplishment before the next room had me feeling overwhelmed.

 If you like old NES titles I say give it a try.It took me 1 hour and 45 minutes to beat Antichromatic, and I died 385 times. I’m sure my readers will be able to do better because I suck. So I challenge you all see if you can beat the Antichromatic

I’m going to give Antichromatic 4 failed wall jumps into spikes out of 5

“Come on jump OK now watch the spikes NOW jump…. AGH (punches monitor)”

OVERALL SCORE: 4

Created by Lee Miller
Title Music by Leaf Corcoran
Additional Music DST

Hosted on newgrounds.com

0 comments:

Post a Comment